ProtaGene’s CEO Highlights 2022 Accomplishments and Looks Ahead to 2023
December 20, 2022
2022 was a big year for the ProtaGene team and the community of biologics development and manufacturing professionals we serve. I wanted to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude and share my enthusiasm for the opportunities that lie ahead in 2023 and beyond.
At the being of this year, Protagen Protein Services, BioAnalytix, and Genewerk joined forces, officially creating ProtaGene, to meet the evolving needs of the biotherapeutic and gene therapy sectors. The formation of ProtaGene assembled over 200 employees across four sites in Europe and North America with the shared mission of analytical excellence.
While the process of fully integrating the three organizations continues, we’ve made tremendous progress, and I am inspired to know that ProtaGene is much more than the sum of its three parts. However, the mere act of forming a new company was not enough. We’re passionate about extending our analytical expertise to support advancing therapeutics to the market, most importantly, playing our role in enriching the health and lives of patients around the world.
A Few 2022 Highlights and Key 2023 Initiatives
While 2022 was a highly eventful year, some of the high points include:
- The opening of a brand-new, state-of-the-art laboratory in the Burlington Bio Center, located in suburban Boston’s rapidly growing biotechnology hub. We tripled the size of our previous North American facility allowing for expanded biologic drug analytics, vector analytics, gene expression analysis, and genetic analysis capacity.
- The new Burlington Bio Center lab launched Integration Site Analysis, pioneered by GeneWerk, essential for assessing the biosafety of gene therapy vectors throughout their development and regulatory approval processes.
Our Strategic Plans for 2023 Include:
- The creation of enhanced AAV product characterization packages for proteins, particles, and nucleotides
- Bolstered complex methods to detect gene therapy process impurities and improve corresponding release assays
- Advancement of our mRNA molecular characterization capabilities
- Expanded biodistribution and vector shedding capacity
- Improved capabilities for the pre/formulation of complex biologics and AAV/RNA products
The entire ProtaGene team looks forward to advancing your programs in 2023. I wish you and your family the happiest of holidays and a prosperous New Year.
Raymond Kaiser, PhD
Chief Executive Officer